Saturday, September 12, 2009

09-12-09 Jacquelyn Nelson Rick Hunter Photography

I went to Armon’s Art Studio today and I just have to comment on how enjoyable it was to go on a day that was not First Friday. Armon told me a little about all the photographers in the studio, and the photographs I enjoyed the most just so happen to be from his own personal collection by Rick Hunter. He had a few different series in there but I want to focus on the bar scenes. This particular one of an older guy drinking a beer was my favorite. I liked how Hunter paired up a smaller photograph on top of a larger one, and collectively they told a story about the subject. In the picture you can tell that this older man enjoys this place that he comes too. He is either going to work, on his lunch break, or he never made it to work. I believe that it is safe to assume that this man is an alcoholic because the smaller photograph on top reads “happy hour 7a.m.-12 noon. 7 days a week.” Hunter’s black and white photographs were not only printed well but he also gives the viewer the complete story of this particular moment in the old man’s life therefore, I think his photographs are very successful and very entertaining. Also the display complemented each photograph. They were all mounted on black mat board, with the same size and type of frame. I find it difficult to convey a story through my photographs, but Rick Hunter has mastered this and is a good example for our sequencing project.

1 comment:

  1. Aha, inspiration can surprise you eh?
    Think of the possibilities for a sequence that is loosely related simply because of repetition of an event that occurs each day...the time and date stamp can be a powerful thing.
    Libby

    ReplyDelete