Saturday, September 12, 2009

9/12/09 Brittany Gates - Judith Golden


On the day we brought our past work into class, Libby suggested I look at a photographer named Judith Golden. So, that day I went to her website; which is very easy to navigate; and looked at her work. Since I did not go to any shows this week, I thought I might as well blog about my thoughts on her work.

As soon as I entered the gallery on Judith's website, I saw her photo collages. I admit that I went straight for them, instead of slowly looking through ALL her work (which is what you SHOULD do). Some of you might remember that I have been doing some work with collages. What I really liked about hers was the fact that not only does she put pieces of images together to create one large one, she also adds small photos to frame the large image. They bring more to the overall piece by adding texture and bringing out little details in the larger image.

This is an idea I had thought of before when working on my own collages, but never experimented with. It's nice to see that Judith has made it work very well in her pieces.

Her other work is just as interesting. She does a lot with mixed media. She has done a lot of portraits that not only include the model, but also something that represents them or their work. For example, she did a series in the nineties of portraits of artists, layered with an image of their work.

She has her artist's statement in her "About the Artist" section. Here is a part I particularly liked:

"I make images because they are my reason to be, because I must."

I think this is something that we can all relate to.

Visit her site! http://www.judithgolden.com/index.htm

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes..Judith Goldin. I also encourage you to go to the library and try to get your hands on her monograph which will allow you to see her older work. Glad you found her interesting, I look forward to seeing how your work progresses. There are plenty of other people for you to look at too...Josefa Mulaire has a series of images that represent her family members, that are an intriguing take on collage.
    Libby

    ReplyDelete