Saturday, September 12, 2009

9/12/09 Monica Garcia- Small Town Texas by Richardo Romo

As promised I went to an exhibit this time around. I was able to go to the Witte Museum and see Ricardo Romo’s series Small Town Texas. Some of us may know Mr. Romo as President of UTSA, knowing that fact I was interested in seeing what he put together. Before I saw the show I had an expectation that I would love the show because I am from a small town in West Texas. As I walked through the show and observed all the pieces I wasn’t feeling a connection with any photo. I felt as if there were any other pictures someone would take on a road trip. I wasn’t sure if it was the set up or maybe even thinking that the picture would look better in black and white only to give it that old feeling. The one I liked the most was Alpine-Ft. Davis this one picture I felt captured the essences of small town and the way of life. This one read complete because it had people in them and seemed to work well as a whole. The others I think were missing the people factor. Don’t get me wrong I love old building and what not but in all the other collages seeing buildings alone don’t read culture or way of life. I read them just as old buildings. I walked around quite a bit to make sure I wasn’t missing anything or maybe just looking at the work wrong. I did find some picture that I liked because of the way they were shot. Mr. Romo did state and I quote “I regret that I never really stopped to see what life was like in these small communities.” I think that is why I was expecting more because I wanted to see “life” and small town charm.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that you and Stephanie had the same critique of these images. I wonder if other people need to see the "faces" of the life of a town to feel the connection as well. Hmmm...do you think that Edward Weston's images of the South, also mostly of place rather than person are missing something too??? You two should look through the FSA images and see what you think.
    Libby

    ReplyDelete