Saturday, September 5, 2009

9.5 Amy Schueling. Artful Blogging Article

Since I live so far away, it is a challenge for me to get into the city to go to First Friday or a gallery. I did however, acquire a magazine entitled Artful Blogging. In this magazine I ran across an article that caught my attention. It is called one-artist Journal by Orly Avineri, on page 32 in the autumn of 2009 edition. In the article the artist talks about how she lives a double life as an artist in fine arts and as a graphic designer. She talks about how she doesn't allow the two to mix. Avineri is from Israel but spent time living in Utrecht, that's in the Netherlands. She is now living in California. Her children convinced her to put her art work online and create a blog. So in the summer of 08 she and her kids created this blog and she for the first time ever mixed her two worlds. She began scanning her paintings, drawings and "miscellaneous objects" into Photoshop and began experimenting. The reason I bring all this up is because I find her technique interesting. She takes photos, puts them on her "virtual canvas" and transform them from a simple painting to a mixed media master piece. She inserts words and phrases to give her work a voice, even if she chooses not to speak. I would have to say that I enjoy the way she takes an ordinary country style photo and adds splashes and washes of color to give the work an entire different feeling than you would have had if she had done nothing to the photo. I am sorry to say that my computer will not allow me to insert a photo or two but I will bring this magazine to school with me on Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. Amy-
    Did the article list her blog address? Don't forget to show us the article on Wednesday.
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing what technolgy can helps us with nowadays? Thanks for posting this article because as someone who is somewhat new to the art scene, I tend to forget that there are so many outlets we can take to take our work to the next level. I would love to see what she has created.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete