Friday, October 9, 2009

10.09.09 Amy Schueling AT&T art collection

Hey all, I got to the library to see the AT&T collection and was overtaken by all the work. The one painting that caught my eye no matter where I was in the room was Lowell Nesbitt's Yellow Orchid. This painting towers over you at a size of 90" by
90". The orchid jumps off the canvas and demands attention. It is delicate yet overwhelmingly demanding. The brightness of the petals and the darkness of the background really make this flower stand out. The flattness of the background seems to hold the flower to the piece, in a sence, it flattens the whole piece. The organic lines created by the edges of the paints meeting helps the petals flow like they are moving with an unknown wind. The variety of the lines helps pull the viewer's eyes to the center of the orchid. I enjoy this painting because the artist has taken something meek and made it into a dominating beauty. This painting is peaceful and fierce at the same time. The organic shapes I see in this piece give me a feeling of spinning and being that this flower is not anchored to the sides gives the view the feeling of floating or hovering.

I have a picture of this piece but it does it no justice so I recommend that you take the time to see this painting and all the others. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. I have to get over there to see it all...I spaced it off this week!

    ReplyDelete