Friday, October 2, 2009

Apryl Corbin 10/2 JeromeLiebling


Throughout my growth as a photographer, I have always come back to the same concept of catching life as it is happening and documenting it. Catching in history the lives of real people; some people you know, others you just find interesting. The problem with this is its been done. How do you make it your own? How do you capture the moment with surprise in order to get the action and not the pose. I stumbled across this photographer named Jerome Liebling. I feel like he is successful in catching people in the moment. Although the people are looking into the camera, you feel the sense of surprise, like they were caught off guard. This is what i think that most of my work is missing. I think that I know too many people who are comfortable in front of a camera. Sometimes this can be a good thing...like modeling for instance, but for what I am going for....well, it sucks! Another thing that Liebling tends to capture in his photo is the motion, as if the world around this lady is still moving at a fast pace...almost like she is frozen in time. It gives the photo a sense of "I caught you, now what". This really peeks my interst. Perhaps I shall try this. Maybe with my family...bc we all know that everyone has CRAZY in there family. Why not capture it?

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. Maybe you should try some of this for your final portfolio??? I know you have other plans, but this might be interesting as well. There are a number of artists who shoot their families in different ways...Larry Sultan, Sally Mann, Tina Barney (officially other people's families, but close to her), Jessica Cook. There are more. We can chat about this some time. At times, families can be difficult to get to do what you want. Other times, they are the perfect subjects, but it can take time for them to get comfortable with the camera being around all of the time.

    ReplyDelete