Monday, May 5, 2014

Sheridan O'Neal submits Jen Davis #8


Sheridan O'Neal submits Jen Davis #8

Photographer Jen Davis explores the identities of men and women through her art work as well as their sexual relationships. I think her use of lighting and composition makes her art interesting. I was mainly drawn to her self portrait series. She photographs herself in different stages of her life. She focuses on what is defined as beauty. She gains weight as the series progresses and shoots it in disturbing and intriguing ways. She seems disgusted with it. That it is her and isn't her at the same time. Her other series fall short for me. The series "I ask in Exchange" is a series of men's portraiture. They don't pose more to me than straight portraiture. They are good photos but I don't see the level of depth that her self-portrait series suggests. All of the rest of her series lack something for me. Her portraits of random people are interesting and have context but they don't push my way of thinking. The webcam series is a start but could have been pushed much farther. http://www.jendavisphoto.com/index.php?/work/self-portraits/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment