Thursday, August 14, 2014

Nan Goldin, my hero (chelsea post 3)



One photographer I can relate with conceptually is Nan Goldin. “I used to think that I could never lose anyone if I photographed them enough. In fact, my pictures show me how much I've lost” Nan Goldin.

During this semester I’ve been trying to capture a place and time so I could save it from death or being lost and forgotten about. I want to extend the life of this time of my life by photographing everything and sharing my images with my viewers. Like Nan Goldin, I expected this project to be small, fun, and entertaining for my family and friends, but it’s grown into a more important idea for me.

Nan Goldin was on her own at a young age, and she turned to photography as her comfort in her crazy life. She lived with drag queens and an abusive boyfriend. She recorded everything from the happiest moments in her life, to the lowest, darkest hours. Many of her best friends and subjects in her photographs, died short deaths from HIV and AIDS. Although my losses aren’t as severe, I am nostalgic about losing places, people, and some of the best time of my life.


Cheers, 
Chelsea

View her work

No comments:

Post a Comment